The Manheim Historical Society was founded in 1964 and is dedicated to preserving the past for the future. The Society has concentrated on the preservation of some of the landmarks that have characterized the borough of Manheim and surrounding areas, as well as collecting local historical artifacts. The Society has preserved the following buildings:
The Fasig House- It is representative of small log houses in the late 1700s. Today the house is a museum containing Manheim artifacts of the Colonial era. It is open to the public on Sundays from 2-4 PM from June through August.
The Manheim Transportation Museum- The station was constructed in 1881 and has been completely renovated and restored. The freight room displays artifacts from Manheim and the history of transportation. The freight office and men’s and women’s waiting rooms have also been restored. The facilities are open to the public Sundays from 1-4 PM from June through September.
The Birney Trolley #236- It came to the Society as a derelict safety car from the PA Historical and Museum Commission. It was one of a small number of surviving cars of this type. It is available for tours and a short ride when the train station is open on Sundays. It was recently awarded a plaque from the Lancaster County Historic Preservation Commission.
The Keath House- The Keath House is one of the oldest log houses in Manheim. The house was sold to Henry Hanz by Henry Wm. Stiegel in 1773. It was donated to the Society in 1995 and was moved to East High St., next to the Fasig House, that same year. It will be the next project for renovation by the Society.
The Heritage Center Library & Museum- This building houses a museum and research library concentrating on artifacts from the Manheim area. The building was built in 1917 and housed Boy Scout Troops, a Pecan Test Kitchen and a local trade union hall until 1996. The Society uses this building as the educational and genealogical research center of Manheim. It is open to the public an Mondays and Fridays from 1-4 PM.
The Manheim Street Clock- This clock originally stood outside Weber’s Jewelry Store in Lancaster. It was brought to Manheim in 1926 by Harry Flinchbaugh to stand outside his jewelry store. Gilbert Bair, jeweler, inherited the clock and at his death the Historical Society purchased it and moved it to the park on South Main Street. By winding it once a week, it keeps good time. It can be seen by anyone driving through Manheim (east, west, north or south).