logo complete with textThe Conestoga Area Historical Society facility incorporates an ethnographic museum that features over three hundred years of life in the west-central area of Lancaster County. The focus is the townships of Conestoga, Martic, Manor and Pequea and the borough of Millersville.

The exhibits are displayed in authentic period buildings which have been carefully moved and restored to the society’s grounds replicating a rural hamlet of a by-gone era. 

The society buildings include the 1733 Anglo-German Atkinson log home furnished with Chippendale and PA German style furniture. It also includes a German foursquare garden and a 1798 squirrel tail bake oven. Other outbuildings include the 1748 Harnish stone house and tavern, the 1880 Stehman blacksmith shop, the 1812 Myers tannery and the Hoak broom-making shop. There is a PA German Switzer bank barn full of large agricultural implements and three Conestoga wagons. 

The restored tobacco shed and addition house the Yordy weaving shop,  Heiney pottery shop, Gardner carpentry shop and the Walton tinsmith shop.  The tobacco shed also houses displays representing a 1920s – 1930s kitchen, dining room, living room, and bedroom. Also a 1900’s country store, a one room schoolhouse, an ice cream parlor and a gallery showing 300 years of clothing and interior design are housed here.  In addition, a corner of St. Mary’s Catholic Church from Safe Harbor, PA which was visited by Bishop John Neumann (later Archbishop, Cardinal and Saint) and the chancel from the 19th century Conestoga German Reformed Church (UCC) are displayed.
In Gundel Hall is a display of 3 dimensional models depicting agriculture in the early 20th century.  In the lower level is a rotating exhibit focusing on themes of local interest and importance.  In addition, there is a well-stocked research library which may be utilized for a small fee.
Special events through the year include a fall harvest festival which features artisans, re-enactors and craftspeople and an early American Christmas candlelight tour in December.

Conestoga Area Historical Society
51 Kendig Road (post office box #232)
Conestoga, PA 17516-0232
Phone: 717-872-1699

Open mid-April through mid-December, Saturday and Sunday 1-4pm.
Call for appointments for individual or group tours. 
No admission is charged but donations are appreciated